Admittedly, it’s hard to believe that a chocolate cake made in a microwave without flour or sugar could taste any good. This low-carb mug cake defies the odds. It has dark chocolate flavor, a soft, cakey texture and bits of real dark chocolate that melt in your mouth.
This low-carb mug cake recipe works because it has the right balance of ingredients—one egg yolk, a little butter and cream, almond flour and dark chocolate. In less than a minute the ingredients bake together into a perfect little treat, and your kitchen is filled with the amazing aroma of chocolate cake.
Make this mug cake even more decadent by pouring melted dark chocolate or whole cream over the warm cake when it’s done.
Time in the Kitchen: 5 minutes
Servings: 1 cake
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (15 grams)
- 2 tablespoons super fine almond flour (14 grams)
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder (5 grams)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder (2.5 ml)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream (15 ml)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract (1.2 ml)
- 8 drops liquid stevia https://www.marksdailyapple.com/stevia-vs-truvia/ (add more, or less, depending on your preference)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 9 grams (3 squares) dark chocolate (85% cacao), chopped
Melt the butter into a small mug, in the microwave (about 20 seconds).
Mix in the almond flour, cacao powder, baking powder and a tiny pinch of salt until thick and smooth.
Add the heavy cream, vanilla extract, and liquid stevia. Mix until smooth, then add the egg yolk and mix again until smooth.
Stir in the dark chocolate.
Put the mug back in the microwave and cook for 50 seconds. Microwaves vary, so the exact cooking time can vary as well, but overcooking the mug cake will make it dry and burn the bits of dark chocolate. Error on the side of undercooking, rather than overcooking the cake.
This low carb mug cake has the best texture and flavor when it’s freshly baked and warm, so enjoy immediately!
- Calories: 362
- Fat: 33.6 grams
- Protein: 7 grams
- Carbs: 10.4 grams